Meet Our Clergy & Staff:
The Clergy & Staff at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church is dedicated to serving the needs of our community. Please do not hesitate to contact us with your thoughts, ideas, questions or concerns.
Click Here to meet our Clergy
Click Here for our Staff Organizational Chart
Monday June 27, 2016 will mark the 150th Anniversary of the Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Click Here to learn more about this Jubilee Year of the Icon of OLPH.
THE MEANING OF THE ICON
In the Eastern world, religious art is seen as an extension of God’s presence in creation. Icons are much more than beautiful images: they’re meant to help us connect directly with God.
The artist who writes the icon strives to illuminate the viewer’s soul with divine truth.
Below is a photo of the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help—the most widely known icon in the world.
This sacred image has special meaning for the Redemptorists, who were asked by Pope Pius IX to “make her known throughout the world.”
Each element of the icon has a specific meaning.
ELEMENTS OF THE IMAGE
• Mary’s eyes, filled with compassion and love, are directed toward us.
• Our Lady is clothed in the colors of virgins (red) and of mothers (blue). These are also royal colors.
• Jesus, depicted as a young boy, wears the colors of a king.
• The star on Mary’s veil reminds us that she is the dawn announcing the coming of Christ.
• Our Lady’s hands hold her Son securely, and her right hand directs our gaze to Him.
• The Christ Child grasps his mother’s hand as though he is frightened by what he sees.
• In His hurry to reach his mother, Jesus has almost lost one of his sandals. He became human,
like us, in all things but sin.
• On Our Lady’s left and right we see the reasons for the child’s fear. On the right is the
Archangel Gabriel, holding a cross and four nails. On the left is the Archangel Michael, holding
a lance, a pole with a sponge, and a vessel of vinegar. This vision of the instruments of the
crucifixion has driven the young Jesus to his mother’s protective embrace.
• Yet Our Lady’s gaze is fixed on us, her children on earth. She is our source of constant comfort
5830 Williams Drive
Corpus Christi, TX 78412
Ph. (361) 991-7891
Fax (361) 993-1211
Weekdays: 8:00 am
Saturday Vigil: 5pm
Sunday: 7am, 9am, 11am,
12:45pm (Spanish Mass)
5pm & 7:30pm
Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Catholic Church & Academy
Saturday: 3pm - 4:45pm
Sunday: 4pm - 4:45pm